April 22, 2007

Favorite Meat

Today I made Szechuan chicken with rice for dinner. Chicken is always a crapshoot - I never know if the girls will eat it. They do tend to like smaller pieces in sauce with NO vegetables so I figured I had at least a 50/50 shot of one of them eating it. Sasha took a gamble and tried the chicken (probably aided by the fact that she was trying to eat with chopsticks and the chicken was easier than the rice). She liked it and ate almost all of it. I stepped out of the room a minute to wash up in the bathroom and I heard Sasha talking to Erika:

"Erika, eat the meat - it's your favorite."

"I don't think so. I don't recognize this kind. This looks like chicken."

"Try it. You like this kind of meat."

"What kind of meat is it?"

"What's your favorite kind of meat again?"

"Beef."

"It's beef, Erika."

I walked back into the room. Erika was chewing on a piece of chicken.

"What kind of meat is this, Mom?"

"What does it taste like?"

"Chicken."

"Well, that's because it is chicken."

"Moooooom, Sasha told me it was beef!"

I caught a grin from Sasha out of the corner of my eye.

No comments: