The girls go to preschool three mornings a week (Monday, Wednesday and Friday). We're supposed to be there by 9:00am. We have a routine. I take care of the dogs, get myself ready and make breakfast for the girls. They get dressed, brush their hair and their teeth and make their beds before coming down for breakfast. The trick is to get them started. Once they start getting ready it takes them about 10 minutes to get everything done.
We normally all finish getting ready about the same time (usually Erika first, me second, and Sasha bringing up the rear) and go downstairs together. One day last week I needed to leave a few minutes early since I had a meeting at work at 9:20. I got done earlier than they did and went downstairs to make breakfast. I kept hearing playing and laughing going on so I kept warning them that if they didn't hurry that they weren't going to go to preschool. As Erika has been left home crying before, this is not an entirely idle threat.
In any case, the time was getting later, no girls were coming downstairs and I still heard lots of laughter going on. Lots of laughter is not a good sign when you're in a hurry. With ten minutes to go, I went to the bottom of the stairs and shouted up "Are you dressed yet, girls?" Sasha comes out of my room with a blanket wrapped around her obviously unclothed body and starts to give me some long-winded explanation of why they're not dressed.
I lose it and yell - really loud - in my most stern, threatning mother voice: "THIS IS THE LAST TIME I'M TELLING YOU OR I WILL LEAVE YOU - GET DRESSED!!! MOVE!!"
Sasha calmly looks at me and says "Mommy, stop shouting."
December 10, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment